Old records

Yesterday, sitting in the park watching the Mole Hill bocci players, my son asked me “what’s gonna be on your list?

We were talking about seeing the new doc “20 Feet From Stardom” that tells the story of the background singer.  The movie features Mary Clayton singing the “shot away” line that completely makes Gimme Shelter.

That song’s on my list.

“The List” Shamus was referring to is kind of my personal set list, the list of songs that come closest to telling my story or at least my inner story, the one I want to believe, the one I think I see if even nobody else does.

Shamus said, ‘of course we gotta play Sympathy For the Devil’, and I’m still wondering what the heck that’s about.  I mean it wasn’t that bad was it?

The truth is I take that as a serious compliment.  Sympathy is one complicated song and therefore true to life.

I was always a Stones over the Beatles kind of person.  I believe in complicated and my record is the very complicated side four of Exile.

The song?  What’s to choose?  Soul Survivor I suppose because, as should be the case at the end of great piece of music, you feel a little wiser if a little more exhausted.

The next song is easy.  My eldest, wise child that she is, has anticipated my forgetfulness and has had the lyrics tattooed on the back of her neck.

Now, I’ll have to ask the youngest if she’s added any tattoos lately.

9 Responses to Old records

1. Joanne says:

Love it! I’ve got a playlist too, spanning Astrid Gilberto to Daft Punk. I’ve been compiling it for years, might be time for an update….

2. simo says:

Ian, you have always been so good at explaining politics…so why Patti Smith?

3. Raj says:

..Mary Clayton got called in the middle of the night, she was very pregnant and arrived in the studio in rollers — incredible stuff. And agreed Rolling Stones over the Beatles for sure, just one of the many things I love about you 🙂

4. Alex says:

Without a doubt a great song. But in my mind if there is a Stones song that exemplifies you it would have to be Salt of the Earth. You are one of the hardest working guys I know. Working for the good of everyone. Doing your best to lift them up. All of it selflessly. Raise your glass to the hard working people…

5. raven says:

PBS doc: Patti Smith: Dream of Life, made me a fan.

6. Arifin Graham says:

Takes me back to Winterland in SF summer of 1978 … seeing Patti a spiritual experience … all best Ian! Arifin

7. Garth says:

EXCELLANT!

8. e.a.f. says:

the stones were always better, in my opinion, than the beattles. The Stones song which comes always to mind is, Can’t get no satisfaction”. for some reason the song always makes me think of striving for somethingworth while in life. o.k. that may not be what it is about, but its what it makes me think about.
    As to songs, Mariane Faithful sang one about, “those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end” …………. eventually they do. We just need to think about what we want to remember and to ensure we have things we actually do want to remember