A vote for and a vote against

I’m a partisan.  I’ve been a New Democrat since I heard Dave Barrett speak about our province and his vision for it in 1972.

But for crying out loud, please shoot me if I ever turn into one of those non-questioning, all-power/all the time Liberal robots who post on the Globe comment boards.

Is there a place where these people go to have their brains redone? Is there an assimilation process?  Or does it just happen over time, kind of like calcification or Alzeihmers.

Generally when I read a paper on-line I like reading the comments more than the stories these days.  It’s one of the great things about the internet – the reporter is finally not immune from argument.

But there is something about these crazed Liberal war-room generated comments that makes me fearful.  These are the voices of people who brook no argument. Who listen to no reason.  Who believe only they deserve to rule, no matter what they have or have not done.

It doesn’t matter if their facts are wrong, if their logic is deficient, if their history is made up, it’s my way or the highway.

This Liberal campaign belongs to those ideologues.  It’s built on lies and rhetoric.  Truth and record have been banished.  Policy and plans have been thrown out the window.  It’s the fairy tale right versus the dragons of the left.  All ideology, no substance.

That is the number one reason to defeat them.  If after all the lies and deceit, scandals and corruption, bad policy and missed targets, arrogance and lack of democracy, if after all of that we re-elect this Liberal government we don’t deserve better.

So yes, for our own self-respect we should defeat the Liberals.

But we should also elect the NDP.

If there is one thing I can’t stand about my party it is our self-righteousness, the kind that always ends up talking about a “moral victory”.

Moral victories are the only kind of victories the self-righteous win.  We told the truth.  We fought the good fight.  It would have been wrong to do what we need to do to win, we mumble.

Blah, blah, blah.

Elections aren’t about us.  They are about people.  And we need to listen to them to win them over.

If we win this time it’s not just because the Liberals deserved to be defeated.  It’s because we cut our cloth to fit the electorate.  We listened to what they had to say about us and we adjusted.

In the stupidest endorsement ever the Globe this past weekend called the BC NDP “socialists” which is correct in the same way that the BC Liberals are Nazis.  In other words, not at all.

That’s a good thing.  British Columbians aren’t as insane as their politics.   They actually seem to want reasonable, decent government that taxes people responsibly and spends money carefully on things that are important to the general good.

The Liberals haven’t done that for a good while.  They deserve to be defeated.

The BC NDP has presented a leader and platform that seems to capture that sentiment.  There is a nice modesty at the centre of the plan, which fits the times.  It shows the NDP listened and deserves to be our government this time around.

This is the last time I’ll ever get to cast a ballot.  Like a right proper citizen I’ll feel very good voting against the Liberals and voting for the NDP.

This entry was posted in BC Liberals, BC Politics, BC Rail, Christy Clark and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A vote for and a vote against

1. James Cavalluzzo says:

Why are you afraid of the term “socialist”?

Ian said:

“…It doesn’t matter if their facts are wrong, if their logic is deficient, if their history is made up, it’s my way or the highway…”

This would all be bad enough if this was a just the position of the surrogates and the War room generated trolls…But the real scary thing here is that this also clearly the stated M.O. of their leader.

_______
    James–

I’ll let Ian, who I don’t think is scared of much anythingm speak for himself but the reason that I found this label personally objectionable is that I do not believe that it is factually correct.

3. Sailorbob says:

I truly believe that BC is blessed with the Best Bloggers in the world.
    You come across as a real person with real struggles and I feel honored to have been allowed into your personal life. We are at that age where we see so many friends loosing the struggle with Cancer. From your blog you taught me to value the life that I have been given and to care for the world as best I can.
    I am so sick of the lies. and its through you and your fellow bloggers that I can get any factual information.
    You seek the truth and you write eloquently.
    I know one thing, When I Die and when I’m gone, if they send me to heaven there wont be many Liberals there.
    Thank you for all the great blogs you wrote and may God willing you get to hold the NDPs feet to the fire for awhile anyways.

James, I’m not afraid of the term socialist. I just don’t think anyone could say the NDP platform is “socialist” in the good old 2nd Internationale sense. I am a little fed up with the Randites habit of confusing taxation with socialism. If that were the case the Romans were socialists, in fact all government is socialism and words mean nothing.

5. Gini says:

This is my first visit to your blog, and I was truly moved by it. I, too, became an NDPer in 1972 when I heard Dave Barrett speak in my B.C. interior town. I have never before or since been so impressed with a politician.

My daughter, who was just a young teenager at the time, is also a life-long NDPer after Dave Barrett came to speak at her school. From time to time, she still reminds me how thrilled she was that someone in government actually took the time to visit her school (he was the only one who did).

No doubt you have read the book I’m presently reading, “The Art of the Impossible”, a story of the Barrett years, 1972 – 1975. How wonderful it is to reminisce about that time in our history, and how nice it would be if we could relive it once more. But I’m not naive enough to think that the society we live in today would ever allow us to return to that magical time.

Maybe I’m viewing the past through rose-coloured glasses, and maybe the next 4 1/2 years will not see the great strides our NDP government took during the Barrett years, but at least we can view the future with an optimism we haven’t had for more than a decade.

Good luck, and God bless, Ian. I look forward to many more of your blogs.

6. kootcoot says:

Excellent post Ian. As to socialists and nazis, it is more correct to call the BC Libs nazis, or at minimum fascist, because if their corporate prostration isn’t fascism, fascism doesn’t exist. The current government of B.C. fits Benito’s definition of fascism better than that of Il Duce’s itself!

“That’s because the reality of their government over the last twelve and especially four years is just too terrible to look at.”

I wonder why you characterize the last four years as especially bad. As I recollect Gordo’s scorched earth policy, at least here in the Kootenays was pretty terrible during his first few months and then he pulled the BC Rail Theft. Let’s call a spade a spade and classify all twelve years as a crime spree of the worst order and be thankful that it is over…………..

7. cfvua says:

News reader up here on one local FM radio station can’t help using “socialists” to describe the NDP. Deliberately and in derogatory context, like referring to something dangerous. Completely inaccurate and meant to promote fear. Told the advertising sales people that I didn’t know news reading included the editorials as well. They had received numerous similar comments. The saying “blinded by ideology” stikes home there. As you say Ian taxation does not equal socialism. Some need to read up a little more before using the term recklessly. Savour the opportunity to vote and be well.

8. macadavy says:

Thank you. ‘Nuff said!

9. Richard says:

According to the Dictionary Socialism : “a theory or system of social organization ”
    People are social beings we have gathered together for mutual support since we lived in caves.
    Is it any wonder we have social values .
    unless for some ideological reason we become BC Liberals or Federal Conservatives and begin to believe that any form of socialism should be destroyed at all cost.
    Sell off all public assets, bankrupt all public institutions, BC Hydro , BC ferries, education and healthcare,so they can be sold off or privatized .
    The weird thing is all governments by definition are a social institution, ….unless they are a dictator ship. eg: BC liberal party or Federal Conservatives.

10. G. Barry Stewart says:

“This is the last time I’ll ever get to cast a ballot.”

That doesn’t sound good, Ian. I’m sorry to hear it.

I’ve got a feeling that tomorrow will be one of the best days of the century for you!

Barry

11. Dan Schubart says:

Re: the trolls in the comment forums:
    The zealots everywhere are distinguished by their knowledge of what’s right for them, but also of their knowledge of what’s good for everyone else, which usually means that they want you to do what’s right for them.

Whatever happens on both the political and cancer fronts, you continue to carry yourself with dignity and aplomb, speaking forcefully and sharing perspective. I will continue to think constructive thoughts and work for a vision of a better world than what we’ve managed thus far.

12. Paul says:

I guess NDPers would label me a right-winger, but my only political interests are a healthy economy and less debt. I don’t carry any political “cards”, in fact I find provincial politics to be unremarkable. While there are times when we can lift the country on our shoulders, lately the global burden has been too large for us to make a difference. I’ve seen provincial governments comes and go, and the ones I notice are those that hurt the economy and give us larger debts. There’s a large number of voters like me. We like change once in awhile. It helps us remember why we lean ‘right’. Like all NDP governments in the past 40 years, Adrian Dix will remind us why we usually don’t vote NDP in this province. It’s sad how it always turn out, but that’s the way it always is. Prove me wrong Adrian?

13. Necessita says:

“I wear red shorts!”
    Can’t wait to vote tomorrow. Be well, Ian. I look forward to more of your posts.

14. James King says:

I suppose you’re right about the way the word ‘socialist’ is being used – especially by the BCLiberals and their online supporters.
    All the same, and I go back a ways too, I have a button stuck on the corkboard beside my desk at home that I wore with pride during that other really important campaign for decent government after a long period of slide and corruption here in BC.

It says: “I am a part of the Socialist Hordes” : I wore it with pride when I campaigned as a student for Dave Barrett’s kind of government. I don’t suppose the years 1972 – 75 were really “socialist” in a sense any more profound than what you’ve spelled out above us here – but there was something quite delicious about using that old trope of WAC Bennett to point out that wanting good government that actually cared about people more than things was something worth fighting for.
    Thanks for the memories – I’m watching this one from Europe but I think there will be a collective cheer from all parts of British Columbia (not unlike the one I heard in 1972) and one small apartment here in Paris when the book is closed on 12 years of bad government.
    Bonne chance Ian.

There you go again JK…

Making me think.

Thanks.

16. Beth says:

Same goes for me… thanks for the memories of those days.. Mr. Barrett was truly one of a kind, inspiring to listen to, and he left behind many legacies which were for all British Columbians, not just a chosen well heeled few.
    Stay well .. your are missed when you don’t post, and .. well… we worry about you!
    Big thanks for all you do

17. Ken Barry says:

Thanks for your post Ian, good thoughts to ponder on for sure.
    I too really like Dave Barrett, he gave us a sense of hope and pride in our province and did more for the people of BC, again I said people, than any other governments combined, before or since.

It seems our present government in BC as well as in Ottawa is all about what they can take from us rather than what can be done for us.

I tell people that I am a Social Democrat, I believe that our societies most important assets like hydro electric and water etc., and these days, the internet should be kept in the public realm or the commons. Its far too important to be left to a bunch of crony capitalists to be divided up and exploited to the detriment of our society.

Greed and the follow those who appear to be the richest or strongest is where these nut bars on the internet come from, something like the American fable of all the poor people are actually millionaires on bad times.
    At any rate I’m off to vote, the dark side will be gone after this election, for a while at least. Best of luck Ian and as they say, may the force be with you.

18. Beverley says:

The ballot is in the box. My riding will likely vote in the Liberal incumbent despite his swarmy attitude and devious ways. Nevertheless, I have a nervous hope that throughout our province, there are many more winning candidates from the NDP who will form the new government.

Thank you Ian, and all the other bloggers I follow, for digging deep and revealing the machinations of the Liberals. Have learned to listen and read the MSM output much more critically because I have found such compelling alternatives.

Last ballot cast… Oh, dear. May the appreciation of your blog fans carry you just that little bit further.

And here’s to us sharing the prospect that our province has a future that includes vigorous debate and workable solutions where respect for its potential in both human and natural resources is always part of any decision.

Deepest regards