Don’t believe the pundits, the Job Plan is a failure

There are two economic plan/job plan ad campaigns plying their government’s wares these days: the BC Liberals pre-election campaign and the Harper conservative’s mid term blahs campaign.

Both claim that, with their respective government’s guidance, everything is great.  Both are frauds.

The latest Stats Can Labour Market report is out.  It shows little that’s good on either the national or provincial front.

Nationally, job growth has been stagnant for the last 4-5 months.

Provincially job growth isn’t just stagnant, it’s non-existent.  For eight months BC has been losing jobs.  And before that job growth was just weak.

In light of the $17 million the BC Liberals spent on the pre-election jobs plan blitz, the NDP called the government plan a failure, while the Liberals mounted a weak defense of ‘well, it could have been worse.’

And of course some pundits bit.  For example, the TC’s Les Leyne felt this debate wasn’t worth sorting out, concluding “If you’re a Liberal, you’d call it stable and consistent. If you’re a New Democrat, it’s a stagnant failure.”

Except it’s not a case of he said/she said.  There is an objective truth here.  For about eight months BC’s job creation record has been exactly what the NDP calls it, “a stagnant failure”.

By any fair measure, BC has the third worst job creation records in the country over the last year.  Only Ontario and Nova Scotia have created fewer jobs per capita.

On an absolute basis BC has created only 2000 jobs in the last year.  That works out to a .1% increase in employment.

But even that depressing number hides a more serious trend.  Since September BC has lost 26,000 jobs.   Faster than most provinces, BC is going downhill.

The reality is that the BC Liberals’ job plan will not and cannot do anything about this. With a private sector economy that relies on resources and real estate the trend can be expected to continue into the next year or until major trading partners move away from policies that reduce demand.

But that’s a whole other story.

This entry was posted in BC Liberals, BC Politics, Christy Clark and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Don’t believe the pundits, the Job Plan is a failure

1. Jim Dopson says:

Ian,
    I hope you didn’t expect to be let off the hook for raising some valid criticisms but not offering solutions or ‘best practices’ that will work.
    You hint of the current Plan being a failure, but why? What went wrong? What could have been better? What is the ‘non-pundit’ solution? Wouldn’t now be the opportune time to inform the electorate of the NDP solution that will work? DETAILS, please.

“We’ve gotta have a great show, with a million laughs… and color… and a lot of lights to make it sparkle. And songs – wonderful songs. And after we get the people in that hall, we’ve gotta start em in laughing right away. Oh, can’t you just see it… ?”

3. Julie says:

I think Harper does have a Job Plan? The jobs just aren’t for Canadians.

Same as Harper’s Economic Plan for Canada. Harper’s plan is, giving Communist China the tar sands also….Planning China in the rich resources, of the High Arctic.

Harper just gave his favorite charities the big corporations, ANOTHER, $60 billion tax reduction. Does that count for, Harper’s Economic Plan?

4. Jim Dopson says:

Why would you censor my questions? I was trying to get some positive alternative news to counter the much-profiled Action Plan. That really shocks me, but foremost disappoints me that you would engage in censorship or muzzling.
    I have really legitimate concerns about the sincerity of the Green-leaning NDP candidate chosen to replace Gary, especially knowing the other NDP-candidate’s background and commitment.
    If my original question does not surface, then I will seriously question my reason to vote for a non-committal NDP North Coast candidate when so much is about to unfold here. So will a lot of other soon-to-be-ex-supporters.
    Now, in my mind, I am getting angry at the wrong party. Angry enough that if an independent candidate does commit to the election, then kiss my support, at least, goodbye. Others will vote silently.

5. Jim Dopson says:

My apology went into cyberspace. So, I will eat crow again. I am sorry for panicking about being censored, but it just showed up, over 24 hours after posting. So, I panicked.
    If my other apology surfaces, it will confirm that there is a split in the north coast riding because of the NDP’s severely-Green-leaning choice of candidates. Ask around. There are many questions about her, and if an Independent runs, a really close election result is likely here for the first time in many elections. Just giving my opinion.

That being said, there is

Hey Jim. I’m really glad to hear from you. Long lost friends etc… I’m out of town and not entirely in internet touch. So no censoring but posting them a bit late. My bad.

I’ve heard a bit of the same stuff about the new candidate, but I’ve also heard good stuff. You should know that I’m not on the inside anymore and all my views are my views, no one else’s.

On the jobs plan, I’m sure the platform that Adrian Dix has promised in detail will address jobs and the economy. If there’s one thing I know about Adrian it is that he is a serious person with a deep interest in good, doable policy.

I will write more about this but I generally think that anyone who thinks that – at a provincial level – they can do much to directly influence the end of the economic pipeline that is job creation is plain old nuts. What we can do is ensure people who live and work here are ready for jobs that could and should exist. BC is failing on that score and that is within our ability to fix.

In other words, as austerity continues to dominate public policy across North America and Europe and no-body is working at reducing inequality it should be no surprise that demand is dropping and job creation is flat-lining. Turning that around is beyond the power of a small slice of a smallish economy like Canada’s. But we can join a fight to increase demand and build an economically fairer country.

Geez, said too much already.