Done with Toronto, ready to post

The Toronto ordeal is over.  I’m home, kind of settled in and a mess of tubes and pumps.

I’ve come to conclude that surgeries are pretty much a snap for me.  Infections are my Kryptonite.

I’m starting to get around a bit more every day.  I’m slow – 12 blocks took me an hour yesterday – but it is so fantastic to get out and not be bound to a hospital.   Who knew air-conditioning wasn’t natural?

Now I’m supported by a great home care team.  They make sure the screw-ups are fixed and the patient washes his hands before he touches anything important to continued existence.  From a patient point of view, the system is great.  It just needs to be available to more British Columbians.

So, where to from here?

The anti-biotic drip goes on to November 4th. So I’m stuck with the tube in my arm for a while longer.  And the feeding will last until I can swallow again, which I hope is a matter of days or weeks.  But my docs say be prepared for months or even forever, which chills me to the bones.

That means a fall with some serious restrictions that I hope will diminish quickly.

But that might benefit the blog.  Who knows?

At the least, expect posts to resume tout de suite.  I have been working on stuff – check the attached scan.  It’s not a if Christy Clark, Suzanne Anton, the federal scene and the world in general have ceased to provide material.  God forbid stupidity ending.

And thanks everybody for their messages of support this summer.  They were a real help getting through each and every day of this ordeal.

7 Responses to Done with Toronto, ready to post

1. Bill says:

Welcome back to the wacky west coast. Great to see this post and your amazingly positive upbeat attitude. You are an inspiration to many and we are all pulling for you!

Keep your medical team happy, take it easy on yourself, remember to wash your hands. I will look forward to your posts.

Welcome back after your time in the centre of the universe. The chance of stupidity ending is about equal to zilch, zip and zot, which means that blogging will continue to demand your attention. Blockheads and fools in the public sector should never be unrecognized and hunting season never ends.

Ha!

Little do they know that extra 90 days means you will just be that much stronger and more motivated to plough through all of their voluminous ‘volume of records’.

Which means that…..

Deadline extensions just might be THEIR kryptonite

(and 12 blocks, regardless the time, seems pretty damn fine to me)

4. BC Mary says:

Twelve blocks! Jayzus, Joseph & Mary … I went back twice to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me … 12 blocks. Just shows the power of “coming home”, doesn’t it?

Lovely to hear your news, Ian.

5. Canadian Canary says:

Glad you’re back Ian.

Yes, listen to your medical team, but don’t believe it all. I’ve got much too much experience with doctors saying “never” and finding out later that they were…. wrong.

Doctors, even the good ones, forget after a while that nobody made them God. They are usually guessing in matters such as these. Not to dismiss their knowledge, but they ain’t omniscient. And that’s a fact.

All I’m saying is, don’t park your own good judgement and intuition. You’ve got bundles of that going for you.

Looking forward to whatever you dish up for us next.

6. Laila says:

So glad to hear this, and so looking forward to many more posts! Stay well, oh man of steel!! ; )

7. Leah says:

Glad to see you’re back Ian, and of strong spirit! 12 blocks is a marathon…take it easy, the best in healing to you. Looking forward to hearing your voice in the blogosphere again!