Yuck

What does bitter read like?  I don’t mean a couple of lines.  I mean full on, intense bitterness:  The kind of writing that says my life sucks, why can’t everyone’s?

Today we have an answer:  bitterness reads like a Christie Blatchford column on Jack Layton.

This entry was posted in Canada Election 2011. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Yuck

1. North Van's Grumps says:

Christie should have her accreditation papers as a journalist yanked by the National Post, if not, then by her peers.

2. Kim says:

Is there a Standards Council for Print Media? That article was pure hate speech. She should be fired. Also note that Kay is praising it, and rightwingers are pasting it all over comment boards. Illustrates Jack’s points perfectly. Hope and Love Jack, forever…

The blog Let Freedom Rain offers this:
    Twitter responded with anger at Blatchford – and the National Post – for this unfeeling opportunism. The paper took note and instead of an apology, in a column today by Jonathan Kay, it amplifies Blatchford’s cold, cold words with a haughty ‘fuck you’ to those who took offense. He does the unthinkable and praises Blatchford’s cowardly sniping as ‘courageous’

In a post about Blatchford switching papers again, the blog says,
    “[Blatchford] can now once again discard any pretence of objectivity and balance that must have weighed on her at the grey lady. Good for Christie. And great for the Globe & Mail.”

4. BC Mary says:

Well, I took a run at Christie Blatchford … had to …

and what I said (in part) was that something very important had happened in Canada on August 22, 2011, when we discovered that we do still have a Public Broadcaster. If you ask me, that’s what triggers Blatchford’s hate. No private for-profit network could do what CBC Newsworld did on August 22, 2011.

If interested, I posted over at my place why I ended the day feeling reassured, hopeful, almost joyful, as if unthinkable harmony in Canada had been discovered and allowed full rein. Can’t tell me that Jack Layton didn’t bring us that. Via CBC.

5. Leah says:

Blatchford’s diatribe doesn’t surprise me – it’s something one should expect of her. She’s living proof of the phrase:

“Beauty is only skin deep – but ugly goes bone deep”…and she’s proven her opinion to be as ugly as it gets. A female far more to pitied, than laughed at.

6. John says:

I remember her from when I used to deliver the Calgary Sun mornings before school and read an extra, if I had one, at breakfast. She would have only been in her early 20s then and already a vile piece of work. A really unwelcome addition to the Times Colonist now.

7. Stuart says:

I stopped reading that woman when she kept appointing herself victim, prosecutor, judge and jury on crime stories in the Globe and Mail. There’s educated opinion and reactive opinion. She writes the latter. I’m appalled that the Vancouver Sun publishes her stuff.

8. Julie says:

Have a look at the Calgary Sun. Naylor is just about as low as you can get. His low life, cruel article about Jack, will make you ill. The editor of the Sun, tried to say he wasn’t responsible for Naylor’s vile article. That I am not buying. Naylor absolutely needs to be fired. The media are a total disgrace to their professions. Most of them aren’t worth the powder to blow them to hell.

And Norman –

‘Contrarians’ like Mr. Colby Cash went into ‘Defender of The Realm’ mode with the hashtagcraptacular #TeamBlatchford.

Tom Hawthorn has done a good job of providing a reality-based antisera with tweets like this one

But here’s the real thing….

The laughable Sun News codswallop makes it easier and easier for provocateurs like Ms. Blatchford to slip into the darkest and vilest nooks and crannies of the expanded right-handed envelope such that she will be able to survive stunts like this and still be considered a ‘serious’ commentator by the great majority of the mush-hearted corpMedia middle.

10. Linda says:

Naylor sent out the most disgusting tweet; it was so bad he actually deleted it. It was vile. Makes Blatch seem kind in comparison.

Ah yes, Blatch. The woman who thought all those who were falsely arrested in Toronto deserved it; even the ones that were assaulted by some of TO’s finest, including journalists.

A biting retort to Ms. Blatch from rabble.ca: http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/krystalline-kraus/2011/08/activist-communiqu%C3%A9-open-letter-christie-blatchford-alice-m

Blatch and Ezra sitting in a tree……

11. Natalie says:

She is a nasty, bitter piece of work, in need of years of therapy which of course she won’t get. Pretty sad/

12. Turns out it may all have been a fraud. I crunched the number on Robo-Call ridings and 11 of them were razor-thin Conservative victories. So could we be seeing a very different government today?