Province’s Nazi cartoon ‘all in good fun’

Province publisher Joseph Goebbels

Province publisher Joseph Goebbels today laughed off the controversy surrounding his paper’s cartoon depicting a BC teacher as Hitler.

“It was all in good fun”, said Goebbels.  “We’re not really suggesting BC teachers are responsible for the holocaust – although we think citizens should look more closely at the facts – but if our cartoon helps people think about contract bargaining in a broader historical context that’s good.”

“This over-reaction isn’t surprising.  Teachers are notoriously thin-skinned,” publisher Goebbels reminisced.  “I recall my friend John’s story about the time he left a dismembered dog on the biology teacher’s desk.  Did the teacher take it in the scientific spirit the gesture was meant?  No.  She went on one of those ridiculous paid leaves claiming an emotional breakdown.  That’s the kind of behaviour we must bring to an end if our children are to grow up strong and clean.”

This entry was posted in BC Politics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Province’s Nazi cartoon ‘all in good fun’

1. Herb Couch says:

To see the cartoon to need to click on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at: http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/index.html

2. Emily Villavicencio says:

I certainly don’t want to live in a society where I’m expected to have no emotional reaction when someone puts a dismembered dog on my desk. What a disgusting goal, teaching our children to be similarly “thick skinned.” Here thick skinned is just a euphemism for damn insensitive.

3. G.J.W. says:

You would be in a lot of trouble on some sites. The Nazi word isn’t permitted, nor is the fascist word. It doesn’t bother me, in the least. I had a lot of family in WW11, so I heard many war stories. But, some people may chastise you. Forewarned is forearmed.

4. Leah says:

2 words…

“Bloody Brilliant!”

“Well Done!”

“More Please!”

GJW and others,
    To be clear – I believe it is wrong, completely wrong, to compare anyone – a teacher, a right wing politician, a political opponent or a journalist – participating in our democratic society to Hitler, a mass murderer who systemically murdered Jews, but also targeted Social Democrats, unionists, gays, gypsies and other political and ideological enemies. Just like I believe it’s wrong to compare social democrats and labour leaders to a mass murderer like Stalin.

That’s why I thought the Province cartoon was indefensible, although no one was saying it.

Ironically, I do believe that the Province’s cartoon was in the tradition of the propaganda techniques developed and practised by Goebells, which was to spread extremism and untruths through the use of unsustainable but emotionally compelling images and words. So I used real satire to demonstrate that.

Real satire, indeed.

Perhaps Mr. Murphy’s editor should be sending upset folks this post in place of the Wiki page titled thusly that he has, allegedly, been wurlitzering.

7. G.J.W. says:

I am not criticizing you. I fully understood your point. I was just afraid others wouldn’t. I was not offended in the least.

8. theo says:

RossK pointed me here. Thanks, that made my day.

GJW, I should also have made clear that I understood that your comment was not critical. But I did want to be precise about my feelings on the general subject. Thanks for your comments.

10. islandcynic says:

I do not understand the intense hatred towards public school teachers here in BC. Every time it is contract renewal time the rhetoric is ramped up big time to ridiculous levels. Parents and citizens also seem to have this intense hatred and share a connection with each other over this.
    What cowards. I dare any of these haters to take their concerns to a local teacher and say it to their face and explain why they hate them so much.
    So the Province claimed it was all in good fun? I disagree, hate is not fun.

11. astro says:

A couple of points. First of all the general public does not hate teachers. It is just the BC Liberals and their supporters in the newspapers of the province. The public gave tremendous support to the teachers in the last strike against the BC Liberals.
    Secondly to compare anyone , esp. BC Teachers to the Nazis is wrong. This is not done in polite societies. This leaves the Canwest papers out of the polite society and in a self-serving one.

12. astro says:

Here is the other side of the coin where Hitler et al “discuss the HST.”