Lucinda Williams

Lucinda Williams played the Vogue last night and I went with an old friend and two of the three kids.  Unfortunately the third, who’s actually the first or eldest, couldn’t make the show on account of her holiday in Vancouver ending.

Jordan would have liked the show, although I don’t think she’s very country inclined.  But she’s a feminist and so is Lucinda, who’s not really country anyhow, no matter what the Grammy’s think.

Williams sings about love and sex and passion from a woman’s point of view.  And she sings hard – no skipping over the bad parts.

My favourite Lucinda Williams song – there are a lot to choose from – is “Side of the Road”.  It’s a song that only a woman could have written: “if only for a minute or two, I wanna see what it feels like to be without you…”

Could a man have written that line?  Not a chance.  And for that reason I kind of think the song should be mandatory listening for all men.

Side of the Road is from her self titled third album, the first with any commercial buzz.  True to form the record label went belly up the week the album was released and it sold about a 100 copies… maybe a few more.  But one of those copies was sold to me.

Like a few other records – Exile on Main Street, Blonde on Blonde, etc… – I wore it out not once but twice.  It’s that good.  Here’s a performance from 1989:

6 Responses to Lucinda Williams

1. Catherine Reid says:

Ok, enough. Shamus wrote on twitter:

‘How any couple avoided just making out for the majority of that Lucinda Williams concert is beyond me. #sexy.’

I admit I am a wee envious – but smiling. Glad I got to hear the pre and post thoughts on this obviously good concert. Oh and is that album in Ottawa? Would be rather fitting given Jordan missed the gathering.

2. Paul Willcocks says:

Been a fan since I first heard Just Want to See You So Bad, with that great Hammond organ riff, and bought a Folkways CD of blues covers. And Car Wheel was a big part of the soundtrack on a roadtrip to California with two 16-year-olds and an 18-year-old, which was especially sweet as we knew they would soon be busy enough with their own lives that such trips wouldn’t likely happen again.
    Saw her three years ago, and it was a great show, but while I liked the concert here this week, I found the reliance on lyric sheets really disconcerting. Hard to imagine the songs are just pouring out from the heart in the same way.
    Tonight, Steve Earle.

3. lisapizza says:

thanks for posting the video, love the old ACL set. side of the road has been high on my list lately, such a beautiful song. was fortunate to hear it on the setlist at Stubb’s in Austin earlier this year.

Paul, Major envy over Steve Earle, one of my music heros.

5. Alex says:

Great song. You must be talking about the vinyl version. I bought the CD version of that album in the 90’s. Another one of my favourites by her is You Took My Joy.

6. gail reaney says:

I went to her concery here in Victoria at the Royal June 27.!!!!… I loved it…. unfortunatley or fortunately…. depending on how you want to look at it…. I went alone. It was an amazing show and Lucinda’s back up band were outstanding. I felt a little silly when one of her first numbers brought a tear to my eye… actually many tears… now is that not silly….at least I had a kleenex! hahaha!