Ch…ch…ch… changes?

Politics.  It’s pretty much been my life now for thirty plus years.  And I love it.

I love thinking about politics and writing about politics.  I especially love gossiping about it, which I haven’t done so much on this site.  The things you pick up along the way…

But, truth be told (isn’t that a flag) politics isn’t everything  (you have no idea how hard it is for me to write a sentence like that).  More to the point, much of what passes for politics in BC has been a significant disappointment to me in the last couple of years:  the opposite of the noble practice I believe at heart it should be.

In the next four weeks I’ll find out if the ‘out there’ chemo regime I’ve been on for the past long while is doing anything to control the tumours hanging off my spinal chord and brain stem.

I’ll also find out if an operation to de-bulk the tumours will do anything to improve my quality of life or even extend it a wee bit beyond the – to me – meager estimate I’ve been given by my medical team.

In other words, the next four weeks are big for me.

Regardless of the outcome, so will the time be that’s left to me after I learn my latest prognosis.  Long or short, it will be limited and defined by the fact that I’m well into the palliative stage, and I know that the possibility of a cure is more ephemeral than a pleasant early morning dream.

There’s a lot to write about in all of that.  Some of it is about politics, but less and less is about the day-to-day give and take of politics.

Much of that’s practical.  I spent a year fighting for an FOI about the planning process for the BC Place stadium – a year to get information and records that showed the process was fixed and fraudulent in order to hand development rights to a BC Liberal insider.

It’s unlikely that I have another year to do that.  And if I do, I’d be crazy to want to spend it that way.

Plus politics isn’t the only thing I care about:  Music, travel, photography, literature – I’ve even been known to labour over a short story or two.  I revel in a lot of things that have nothing to do with this blog as it is.

I’ve decided that I want the blog to encompass more of these.  So the blog will change.  How, I’m not sure.

But I take the cow as inspiration.  Paul and I came across the cow at the end of a thirty-kilometer stretch of beach in Southern Goa.  There wasn’t a field in sight.  The cow was standing in the tide, like a comic Aphrodite, checking out the beach and beyond, happy to wonder at the beautiful insanity of it all.

I think there is still some kind of blog in all of that.  Above all, I hope it will be an interesting one.

19 Responses to Ch…ch…ch… changes?

1. ron wilton says:

Happy to hear the cup is half full. I always wondered about that cow.

2. kootcoot says:

But, truth be told (isn’t that a flag) politics isn’t everything ” and “Plus politics isn’t the only thing I care about:

With the issues you are facing, you must really love politics to care about it at all now. I am fortunate enough to have my health, still, yet I find it hard to continue to care about the nasty rigged game that politics seems ever more to be. Perhaps it always was and I just let my idealism mislead me.

Anyway, I would certainly understand if you chose to spend more of what may be a limited time (we all have “a limited time” just some more so than others) on some other more noble and rewarding things like music, travel, photography and literature. I will be interested to check back and see what you have to say about whatever and wish you the best for the longest possible. May your most ephemeral hopes perhaps become reality.

3. Canadian Canary says:

Changes… The political is the personal, someone said. I too will be happy to read whatever you wish to muse about. The cow was good. That photo calms and soothes me every time I see it. And now, knowing its genesis, it’s exotic and magical too.

Treat yourself to the wonders of the world and the fine sensibilities of your mind and heart. We’ll take the crumbs…

4. A little David Bowie as an intro is great. Sorry to hear about your situation Ian but you are right…there’s a lot of great things to talk about aside from politics. I have enjoyed & appreciated your research and thoughts that accompany it. I’ve lived most of my life walking with the aid of crutches (paraplegic) and while it has been challenging it has also given me the opportunity to see life from a different perspective. It has not slowed me down but it is fighting the reality that getting old means to re-assess. Since I was young I have always loved music….not so much today’s but when it comes to the music of Al Martino, Gordon Lightfoot, the Moody Blues, Quicksilver Messenger Service and K.D. Lang, well I’m in heaven. I spent 10 years in radio & was exposed to some great stuff in the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s. I look forward to the upcoming change and honestly Ian, there are plenty of sites for my political appetite. In the meantime, enjoy what you have & may God bless.
    “Something you can’t hide
    Says you’re lonely
    Hidden deep inside
    Of you only
    It’s there for you to see
    Take a look and be
    Burn slowly the candle of life”

Guy in Victoria

5. James King says:

Enjoy your days – spend them with people you love, look forward, not back.

And keep sharing your thoughts with what I expect is a growing collection of people who’d like to know you better.

All the best Ian.

6. I’ll be rooting for you, Ian! I’m happy you love politics so I don’t have to. I always enjoy your blog.

7. RonS says:

I saw your comment about Chemo debulking the cancer tumor. I also read that a study done at the Magill University said that direct injection of Vitamin C is much more effective than Chemo. In fact over 75% of oncologists said they would not use Chemo if they had cancer. May be worth some investigation.

8. Irv Lowery says:

My thoughts a prayers will be with you….Don’t give up……..

9. Paul Willcocks says:

I’ve always liked pacificgazette because I never know what will be the topic of the day or week – politics, music, family, busking, kids.
    Bring on the short stories.

10. Laila says:

I’ve got to say, I sat with an empty comment box here in front of me for about 10 minutes before I could write, Ian.
    I like your writing, love your photo’s and I have always loved hearing more about the people behind the stories and opinions -and that includes you. It puts a perspective even on your political coverage that makes it real and meaningful.

I find the cow always makes me smile. How often do you find a cow in the ocean? Looking so at home and serene? As it such a thing were commonplace and makes perfect sense…I wish it were all that easy.

Can’t wait for you new offerings, whatever they may be. You are an inspiration Ian.

Looks like me and mine have got two new projects to do now….

The second will be Songs for Ian.

Perhaps loosely based The Waterboys most famous offering that has never been finer than this.

12. BC Mary says:

Ian …

I’m sending my good thoughts to you, too.

Thinking of you often.

You’ve all been too kind. No, really so kind. Who says the internet can’t lead to real friendships and connections. Thank you for the kind thoughts going ahead.
    Ian

14. frances wasserlein says:

I’m so delighted with the story of the cow. I wondered where you’d found one on a beach. I love cows. They are curious and unconcerned with the past. Sounds like what you’re looking for, too. I’ll be interested to read – short stories! Yes.

Loving politics in British Columbia is a taxing thing most of the time. Observing is maybe a bit easier. Thanks for the possibility of being on your sidelines. Cheering.

15. Catherine Reid says:

This was a tough one to read – and which oddly enough brought a smile to my face. Everyday your heart and mind continue to inspire me. Rarely do a few hours much less a day pass without my thoughts hitting on you and Paul. Truly remarkable you both are. xxoo

Back at the screen following a total break, reading this leaves me with a mixture of admiration and angst. Until reality forces a changed course, few acknowledge that life is of indeterminate, not infinite, duration. I’ve pondered this recently and probably most people of my generation have done so too, in halting fashion at least.

Thirty some years ago, the doc who helped birth our first child shared our pride and joy for a few minutes but left immediately for the funeral of his father. That incident stuck with me through the years and now, as our sons and daughter grow their own babies into people, I accept that nature’s illumination moves continuously and the shadows beckon for me too.

Material possessions matter little now. Instead we value ideas, activities and people. As Paul said above, RossK is a master of mixture at The Gazetteer. I hope you write more of other interests and the principles that guide your life but write too of the inside stories that define the people of politics. Not just the faults and foibles but of the passions and ethics of those who would govern.

Write more of your love and appreciation for those who give you strength and purpose and the hobbies that occupy your leisure. Focus the future on things that make you smile.

BTW, thanks for explaining the cow. On the day it first appeared, I spent search time looking for the image source, assuming you had grabbed it from a distant corner of the web. This image is evocative but I bet it conjures wildly different scenes for each of us. There might be a story in that.

17. Pingback: When Bowie Met Springsteen. | CanadianBlog

18. Kim says:

Thank you Ian, for continuing to share your insights with us. Pearls of wisdom.

The first thing that crossed my mind about the cow, was a memory of visiting with my parents when they came on a rare trip to see Masset. As we drove along the beach, we came across the totally unexpected sight of a herd of cows, grazing on the beach. I took photos that day. Later, my Dad had to rescue us after my inexperienced husband got us stuck in the loose gravel. That day is one of my most treasured memories of my Dad, who I later lost to cancer.

Your cow evoked that memory, powerful enough to bring tears to my eyes. Make lots of memories Ian, they will sustain your family through much. With love and admiration, I remain your fan, Kim

19. I love cows and I love you. Shanti Shanti Shanti