The opposition is a small operation compared to the Liberal government. There are almost six times as many employees in the Public Affairs bureau as there are in all of the opposition caucus. And PAB spins for the government every minute of every day.
Add minister’s office staff, Premier’s office staff, Liberal caucus staff and assorted Liberal loyalists planted through the public service and you have an organization that is 20 times the size of the NDP organization.
That’s just the way it is. David vs. Goliath.
David has enough on his hands without dealing with internal dissension. This is a gift to the BC Liberals right now. It’s using up all the time and resources and keeping the Opposition from doing it’s job.
The NDP should be killing the BC Liberals on:
- The crooked Basi/Virk deal,
- BC Rail in general,
- The shadow tolls on the Sea to Sky highway,
- The now you see it now you don’t tax break,
- The insane re-org/dis-org of the dirt ministries,
- The cuts to the forest ministry that prevent the ministry from doing its job as the stewards of our forests,
- The HST morass that’s going to last for another year,
- The disastrous year in agriculture,
- The economy, which is slowing down and the government has no plan to address,
- The minimum wage,
- The disaster that is Mary Pollack and the Children’s ministry,
- The “prosperity mine” environmental assessment process,
- The BC Place Roof overruns and screw ups,
- The Solicitor General’s promotion of drunk driving,
- The inability of the Liberal party to attract any decent candidates,
- The general lack of any backbone by any Liberal member given the disaster of the Campbell government.
And that’s just off the top of my head.
Instead the meager resources available are turned inward. Hey NDP caucus members, it’s time to turn around and start firing outward again. British Columbians kind of depend upon it.